Hi, kids! Welcome back to this edition of “Jordan-gets-bored-during-the-summer-and-tries-to-get-her-blog-going-again.”
It’s been almost a year since I last wrote, and—shocker—so much has changed. Since my last post, I:
- got my first big-girl job;
- was laid off from my first big-girl job;
- discovered that the lay-off was a huge blessing, because I love love love freelance life;
- started performing in a competitive karaoke league;
- got addicted to yoga; and
- have been experimenting with green smoothies and raw and vegan cooking.
Lucky for you, dear readers, I am only a sometimes-vegan. Instead of getting boozy at this year’s Amurica-eff-yeah cookout, I decided to make a healthy(ish) side salad to go with our hot dogs.* It’s got fruit, cheese, nuts, and greens—pretty much everything that a gluten-free girl could want.
The original recipe comes from Michael Symon, and I’ve only tweaked the measurements slightly.
Peach Salad with Almonds and Blue Cheese
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 tbsp honey (original recipe calls for 1 tsp, but I like a slightly sweeter dressing)
1 tsp dijon mustard
Salt, if desired
4-6 peaches, pitted, and cut into slices (I prefer thinner slices)
3-4 cups greens – I used spinach and arugula
1/2 cup Marcona almonds
3/4 cup blue cheese (Antonelli’s has some rad options)
1. Whisk together dressing ingredients. You may want to leave out the salt if your almonds are pre-salted.
2. Combine salad ingredients, mixing gently. Add dressing and toss. Serve immediately, alone, or on top of a delicious steak.
*I still haven’t found a good gluten-free, store-bought hot dog bun, but Frank in downtown Austin has astoundingly good g-free buns.